The most widely used and studied seaweed is Ascophyllum nodosum. The extract from this seaweed is a natural physiological activator. It contains bioactive substances such as:
- Macro and microelements for plant nutrition
- Organic matter, which improves the physical and chemical structure of the soil, increasing its water-holding capacity, enhancing aeration and benefiting the development of the microflora
- Growth hormones, especially cytokinins, auxins and gibberellins, which accelerate cell division, elongation and expansion, respectively
- Amino acids, which are essential for the synthesis of structural proteins and enzymes
- Betaines, which act as solutes within cells, relieving the osmotic stress caused by salinity and drought. They also increase the chlorophyll content in leaves
- Sterols, a group of lipids essential for the cells
- Polysaccharides, such as laminarin and alginic acid
The application of Ascophyllum nodosum extract, which is rich in these bioactive substances, stimulates crop growth, increases resistance to stress and improves soil conditions.
Meristem is committed to offering products obtained from only the highest-quality raw materials, and uses Ascophyllum nodosum extract sourced in Canada, where water conditions are extreme and the seaweed synthesise greater amounts of bioactive substances in order to withstand environmental stress.
Moreover, the extraction is carried out using a gentle, low-pressure, low-temperature process in order to prevent destruction of the bioactive substances. This method retaind the maximum possible value of the seaweed extract, thus guaranteeing the efficiency of our products.